Without water, our tourism economy would not exist. We aim to reduce the commercial water footprint in Santa Fe, of which restaurants are a vital component. To do this, we developed a unique water saving assistance program for restaurants called, “Make a Reservation to Save Water."
- A free commercial water audit valued between $500-$1,000, to determine current level of water use efficiency; and identify ways to cut down on water use.
- Free equipment onsite, such as aerators and pre-rinse spray valves.
- Participating restaurants will be highlighted as water savers on our website, social media channels, and on the Green Chamber website as well.
- Radio shows and press releases as well as opportunities for advertisement are all extra incentives.
- Comprehensive report of the findings, which includes training using the EyeOnWater app to track and monitor water use on a computer or mobile phone. This app also alerts you to leaks on a real-time basis.
- Assist local restaurants in understanding their current water use and how they can reduce this expense.
- Educate and assist restaurants with creating a plan for long term water reduction
- Promote participating restaurants through our Local & Green Lodging Initiatives
- Promote water saving establishments through local recognition.
Pilot Project was initiated in 2018-19 in which 30 restaurants were recruited. We're now seeking an additional 50 restaurants to participate in 2019-20. The pilot discovered that major water savings were possible in rolling out a Water Audit Program targeted specifically towards restaurants in Santa Fe. Key findings include:
- Water Saved by Pilot Program – 3 million gallons – Mainly replacing aerators and fixing leaks
- Water Savings Identified – 19 million gallons – Mainly upgrades to toilets and a few other fixtures
This program is sponsored by the City of Santa Fe Water Conservation Office. Our partners include Santa Fe Green Chamber of Commerce, Santa Fe Community College, Santa Fe Area Homebuilders Association, Phyn, Uponor, Bill Hoffman, and KuelWater.