Without water, our tourism economy would not exist. We aim to reduce the commercial water footprint in Santa Fe, of which restaurants are a vital component. To do this, we developed a unique water saving assistance program for restaurants called, “Make a Reservation to Save Water."
About this Program
Dine Waterwise, Santa Fe!
The Santa Fe Water Conservation Office encourages locals and visitors alike to dine at the Certified Waterwise establishments listed below. Help spread the word to your favorite Santa Fe restaurant so we can get all of them on board to help reduce water use. If you're a restaurant owner or manager, please visit our Make a Reservation to Save Water to become Certified Waterwise by the City of Santa Fe.
The following restaurants are Certified Waterwise by the City of Santa Fe:
- A free commercial water audit valued between $500-$1,000, to determine current level of water use efficiency; and identify ways to cut down on water use.
- Free equipment onsite, such as aerators and pre-rinse spray valves.
- Participating restaurants will be highlighted as water savers on our website, social media channels, and on the Green Chamber website as well.
- Radio shows and press releases as well as opportunities for advertisement are all extra incentives.
- Comprehensive report of the findings, which includes training using the EyeOnWater app to track and monitor water use on a computer or mobile phone. This app also alerts you to leaks on a real-time basis.
- Assist local restaurants in understanding their current water use and how they can reduce this expense.
- Educate and assist restaurants with creating a plan for long term water reduction
- Promote participating restaurants through our Local & Green Lodging Initiatives
- Promote water saving establishments through local recognition.
Pilot Project was initiated in 2018-19 in which 30 restaurants were recruited. Since then, a growing number of restaurants have joined the program and we invite every restaurant in Santa Fe to commit to reducing their water footprint in The City Different.
The pilot discovered that major water savings were possible in rolling out a Water Audit Program targeted specifically towards restaurants in Santa Fe. Key findings include:
- Water Saved by Pilot Program – 3 million gallons – Mainly replacing aerators and fixing leaks
- Water Savings Identified – 19 million gallons – Mainly upgrades to toilets and a few other fixtures
This awarding winning program has saved tens of thousands of gallons and is being expanded to include hotels and other commercial establishments. A growing number of restaurants have joined the program and we invite every restaurant in Santa Fe to commit to reducing their water footprint in The City Different. If you are a business and want to find out more about this program call us at (505) 955-4225 or contact the Santa Fe Green Chamber of Commerce.
- Waterwise Santa Fe Restaurant Week February 21, 2020
- Make a Reservation to Save Water Is Making the Airwaves February 19, 2020
- Make a Reservation to Success February 19, 2020
- Water Matters: Restaurants can save lots February 3, 2020
- On the Cutting Edge of Water Efficiency January 29, 2020
- Santa Fe Named Sustainable City of the Year January 23, 2020
“Make a Reservation to Save Water” Radio Spot
“Make a Reservation to Save Water” making the airwaves
Make a Reservation to Save Water is making the airwaves. Listen to our most recent shows with guests that include Santa Fe Mayor Alan Webber, Santa Fe Green Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Glenn Schiffbauer, and Phyn's Head of Global Business Develpment, Mariel Devesa.